Monday, April 27, 2009

Simple local breakfast

I am a big breakfast person. Somehow or rather, my tummie opens up wide & big in the morning. Early today, I was in Petaling Street to run some chores and I thought since I was here, I should check out this chee cheung fun stall which is tucked at the corner of Lorong Panggong, off Jalan Balai Polis.


It was about 8am, and to my disappointment, the stall is not open yet. Luckily, there’s a kopitiam just further in the lorong with people sipping coffee and enjoying nasi lemak, steam/ toast white bread, half boiled egg, char siew pau, siew mai and loh mai kai. I walked in and saw this oldie worldie setting with most of the tables occupied. I ordered my usual cup of coffee min-tim (kurang manis) & a set of toasted white bread with juicy kaya & butter spread. It was a bit dry but did the trick to fill up the tummie.


The atmosphere was homely. The proprietor, Ms Ho seem to know all the customers who dropped in. They are all regulars- working adults, the elderly and students from college ATC nearby. I found out later over a chat that Ms Ho is the 3rd generation running the family business of about more than 50 years- WOW!


Her dad, a bubbly gentleman with spectacles was whistling to some chinese songs (I guess from the 60's) while busy frying some eggs for the nasi lemak and special sandwiches. A young lady ordered luncheon meat & freshly-fried egg (uncle will ask whether you want it welldone or medium rare- mmm... personalised service). And guess what, as the sandwich fly passed me, I can feel my saliva started flowing out uncontrollably. So I ordered one as well- a few bites: hot & fresh, simply yummie- just how simple food like this can give such satisfaction.



Actually, the daily breakfast menu changes every day.

Mon- nasi lemak

Tue- fried mee/ meehoon & woon cai ko

Wed- mee soup

Thurs- chee cheung fun

Fri- char keow teow/ woo tau ko/ choy tau kueh

Sat- hokkien mee

Sun- holiday


I’ll be in town again tomorrow morning. Definitely I’ll have my breakfast at Ho Kau Kopitiam along with my small camera.

1 comment:

  1. haven't been to petaling street for a long time. miss it much...

    ReplyDelete